Did you know that SmokeFree spaces are better for the environment too? Cigarette butts are toxic and not biodegradable.
- • In the UK, 120 tonnes of cigarette related litter are discarded on our streets every day
- • Cigarettes account for over 40 per cent of street litter
- • Cigarette filters can take up to 12 years to degrade
- • Approximately 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide each year
- • Cigarette butts leak toxins that contaminate water and harm marine life and the environment
- • Every day UK smokers throw away about 200 million butts
- • Cigarette filters have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, whales and other marine creatures, who mistake them for food